* My dream to ride my bike from Brisbane to Ayers Rock in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park *

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cold is not cool

Another Sunday, and it's time for another ride. Checked the weather forecast. It says, "Sunny. Cool. No rain. Humidity 70%. Temperature 16ºC". I thought it would be a perfect day to ceremoniously use the new jacket for the first time!

Off I head down South (similar route like last week, but started further to the West, via the Ipswich-Boonah Rd, then only turn back East towards Beaudesert and Tamborine). This route had appeared in motowhere.com and true enough, a very picturesque choice!


View Larger Map
One not very good thing though; the weather forecast must have predicted the temperature for late morning. I was out by 6:30 a.m. I first noticed a slight chill when the temperature was 7.5ºC near my house. By the time I got to the middle of the plains, it was as low as 4ºC! I realized; this is not a good day to wear an "Airflow" jacket.

Lesson of the day: Cool look doesn't help in the cold!

Anyway, don't be fooled by the bright and sunny look below - I froze my hand trying to get the camera out.


The two riders in the picture above passed by and waved at me and went rumbling along in their Harleys. I also realized why I have never seen any riders on the same direction as I normally rode but at least 5 of them passed by today as I was taking this picture. We have all been travelling on the same direction - at the same speed (we all follow speed limit in Queensland okay!). That's why we never passed by one another.


The original plan was to climb the Binna Burra peak but I went halfway up the Beechmont Rd and found out that there was some roadwork there so cut my trip short and head back towards the East to Nerang and back up North to Brisbane. Didn't manage to get a picture of myself in my new jacket - now, where's Eadie when you need him??? 


A quick stop later at a Rest Area along Pacific Motorway for a double shot of espresso, nature break and a quick call home to check if everybody is already up. 4 hours and 260 km later, (and also the freezing and thawing of my backside) I was home making lunch for the family. And oh, before that - a quick stop at Woolies to get this for the wife... Oh, I am just so sweet... :-)



Until next ride...

3 comments:

  1. why not next time you bring a tripod then you can pose on your bike with the background...."pose maut gitew"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion, Bob. Anyway, bukan tak nak, tapi nak letak kat mana? Nak masuk pannier tak muat - tak kan nak tambat kat belakang je kot? Aiyaaa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. tak..kan ada tripod yang kecik..mini tripod..muat masuk poket..tak pun ada tripod yang boleh masuk dekat compartment tepi tu..boleh cari..

    ReplyDelete