* My dream to ride my bike from Brisbane to Ayers Rock in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park *

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Test Ride - Brisbane to Mitchell and back (1,133 km)

Last week I rode for 570+ km to Mitchell. Easy ride. So, decided to estimate an average of 700-800 km on a good day for my plan, and only about 500 km on the alternate "rest" days.

Selected pics from the ride (full collection available in my FB album):

One of my stops; a nice little town with a very cute name... "Chinchilla" is famous for its melons!

A short rest at one of the outback rest areas. "Rest area" here doesn't mean petrol station with fresh ground coffee and toilet, okay... If I remember correctly; one of the tree in the background was the toilet... :-)

5 deg C on the morning of the ride back! The man at the motel said, "You know, quite a few people ride thru here between August to September...". What he didn't say was - only an idiot would ride in this weather!
A quick visit to the "Big Oil Rig" museum in Roma. I'm just an oil & gas man at heart!
When I took this, a thought was in my mind about something someone in my organization once said, "We don't want silo in this organization!" - I bet no one says something like that here... haha! 
The mountain I missed on the way there. This made me decide to do a "two-way" trip to Ayers Rock instead of a "looping". At least, if I missed something like this on the way there, I can always catch up on it on the way back... It's like having a second chance in life...

The last pic before reaching home - look at the shop sign top right - a really good reminder; in fact explains what the whole trip is all about... I did stop. Smell the roses. Wanted to buy some for my wife but no more room in the panniers. Can't crush them can I? So bought some perfumed organic soaps instead - she still love 'em!

2 comments:

  1. hhmmm... for a new blogger, this is good Pandai. Remember, keep writing as we are following ;)

    ohh... the 'outback' toilet tu reminds me of when I first got here 10 years ago. I got kidney infection on my 5th day in Australia, and the doctor said it was because Malaysia is a 3rd world country and we still do business in the bush @#$%^&!! hhmmm...I don't remember our R&R back home kat celah pokok tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember to add "wet wipes" to the packing list... just in case...

    ReplyDelete