* My dream to ride my bike from Brisbane to Ayers Rock in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park *

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 1: Brisbane to Blackall (963 km)

There; I made it! I guess it was just about making that first move. Once I was on the road, all the worries and nervousness just got swept away by the wind and I was able to enjoy every moment of the ride today...

Make this the "before" picture. We'll compare it to the "after" picture when I get back!
It started early this morning as planned. By 5:15 am, I already had all my gears loaded onto the bike. I had only one fan bidding me farewell as all the others were still in bed. It was an emotional moment nonetheless. As I hugged and kissed my wife goodbye, she whispered to me, "I hope you will find what you're looking for...". Yes, perhaps that is what this trip is all about - searching for myself. I don't mean to sound too philosophical or melodramatic about it all but one whole day on a bike, all by yourself with plenty of time to reflect on all sorts of things tends to make you a bit softy inside somehow.

Anyway, I'm refraining myself from writing too much on the first day for fear of getting the "journal" too long in the beginning and thinning towards the end. But all the way I had so many ideas and thoughts to write about, I think I wouldn't be sleeping tonight if I were to write them all!

It went exceptionally well in the morning. As I got onto the Ipswich Highway there were already few wrong setups that I spotted but hey, we can only plan every detail of the trip but we can't help missing a thing of two. First I noticed that the duffel bag that I strapped on the back seat blocked part of the view in my rear mirror. This means that I would have wider blind spot than usual. Anyway, that just need a bit of adjusting myself to the condition. Next, I realized that the camera mount that I fixed on the windshield is vibrating badly. I really should have attached it to the body of the bike but that's something I would have to figure out later. The other problem was when I wanted to switch on the camera on the move. I was struggling to push the tiny button while wearing my riding glove! I tried once taking off the glove while riding just to push the button then putting it on again but decided that it was too unsafe as it took my focus from the road. Looks like the camera mount could be the first redundant gadget on this trip after all...

I had such a nice ride I didn't realize that by the time I reach Dulacca (about 100 km from Roma) it was only 9:20 in the morning! I way underestimated my travelling time. I have not even had any breakfast yet but I feel like I can go another 200k easily! Had a short break eating dates (good energy source - I learnt that the hard way while mountain climbing once) then head off to Roma.

Note: Resting under this tree was one of the "moment" during this trip so far

As I approached Roma I noticed that the "Km to go..." was reducing quite rapidly. My plan was to fill up at Roma. I had always find that the bike can go minimum 500-550 km without filling but this time, it went down to 0 only after travelling for 450 km! It must be the weight of all those gears. I was almost literally holding my breath as I rode the last 16 km on "0". I was praying that when the manual says the bike has a 60km worth of tank capacity of reserve, it really has it. I made it to Roma finally and filled the tank to the brim!

One of the few things I was really glad I had was the windshield on the bike and the full face helmet I wore. That route is really a bug fest. By the time I got there, if I had not had the windshield or wear and open face helmet, I would have been full with all the exotic outback bugs! Thousands of them all splattered their guts on me. And am I glad also that I brought the handy "optical wet wipes"!.

The stretch from Roma to Mitchell was absolutely beautiful. In my my trial run back in April, I passed through there near dusk. Now in daylight and when the rain was forming in the horizon, it was such a brilliant scene. It felt like one of Monet's painting actually came to life... and I was right in it! I did stop and tried to capture the scenery but my cheapo camera didn't do justice to the scene (perhaps it is now justified to get the Canon EOS 550D after all, wink..wink..)


By the time I got to Mitchell again I found out I'm way ahead of time (how I wish those projects I worked on were like this!). I had to make an executive decision there and then. By the way, the storm was faithfully following me from behind. So, what's it gonna be; put it up in Mitchell as per plan (it was still noon at that time!) or try to outrun the storm to my next destination. I did call my "home office weather station reporting unit" seeking information but as it turns out, the "support team" was busy attending a knitting and craft convention! I decided to push on...

But I forgot; up till Mitchell, I was moving westward and so is the storm. After Mitchell, I was heading north and so the storm caught up with me in no time! I arrived in Blackall [edited] drenched. Found the caravan park just in time before another downpour and as I enquired about a camping spot, the owner of the park said, "Mate, a thunderstorm is heading this way. I don't think you gonna make it in your tent!". So, here it is; now I'm sitting comfortably in my (as luck turns out; the last one available) cabin and a very strong wind is forming outside. I guess, I do get to enjoy the luxury of writing like at home while on the road. I wonder how it's like writing from inside a tent... Oh, and for one of my sponsor, no mention yet as I did not get to use his sponsored foam mat! [edited: Shah, the answer is; cabin night!] hmmm...

All in all, it was a great day today. It was time to reflect and ponder, and even to come up with few great ideas. Over the mileage I put today, I have thought of a design patent, construct half a poem and thought of a very good comeback that I should have come up with on one previous occasion. I also spotted 26 roos who ended up as roadkill along the way... poor souls. One did try to cross my path but my "shoo-roo" must have deterred it! What's a shoo-roo? Google it...

Here's my bike resting peacefully under the porch...
Heheh, who could say "no" to a biker...

So, good night all. We'll ride on tomorrow...!


p/s: most of the pics will be posted on Facebook instead of here - the blog will be too heavy with too many pics. So, for those who are yet to have an FB account... you know who you are!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a good start! So is it camping night or hotel/motel night? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. jgn lupa jama' qasar sepanjang perjalanan..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're missing you already... I had to put Afiq on his 'naughty' stool today for hitting Umar and he cried asking for Babah! It broke my heart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shah, thanks for asking - I accidently deleted that part that I wrote earlier. It's edited now and the answer is; cabin night! Well, we'll try again tomorrow... :-)

    Abg Azmi, tak lupa... Walaubagaimanapun, terima kasih sebab memperingati...

    Zai, I missed u all too...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day 1 already exciting! Looking forward to reading the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete