* My dream to ride my bike from Brisbane to Ayers Rock in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park *

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 5: Alice Springs to Uluru (536.8 km. Total now 3,613 km)

Last night was obviously not one of the most comfortable night. While I lay there awake in the middle of the night, I recalled that the last time I went camping was probably more than 7 years ago! Perhaps I'm too old for this... Oh how I miss the comfort of a motel room or a cabin...

Anyway, here's the view of our camp site. Not so much of wilderness to be bragged about but at least a certain level on inconvenience that demands a lot of effort to tolerate at this age. The bike is parked just next to the tent so that we can keep a close watch on one another...



Anyway, I woke up extra early this morning, all excited for the big day. If all goes well, we should reach Uluru by this afternoon!


First thing I noticed was that my shoo-roo was actually broken. No wonder the emu was just standing there staring at me the other day! Lucky I brought a spare...





We hit the road while the camping site was still quiet. It was a brilliant weather today and the road around Northern Territory was as usual, straight, long and virtually flat with scenery on either side of the road that can be exactly the same for miles after miles after miles. During times like this I'm so glad for having my auto-cruise function (yes, for those doesn't know, this bike does have an auto-cruise function like the one on cars. Cool eh?). First stop was at a roadhouse in Stuarts Well. Even after our 200 km ride we still arrive there very early in the morning and I was the only customer. I thought I'd order breakfast since we still have quite a long way to go that day. I went for my customary eggs-on-toasts and when the guy asked me about drink, I confidently requested for a large skinny flat white. He stared at me blankly, picked up a coffee mug, hand it over to me and gestured with the mug to a corner in the bar where I now see a big hot water pot, with a big jar of instant coffee, sugar and stuff and he said, "Go make yourself mate!". Lessons learnt; at a roadhouse, ask first what kind of coffee they have!

I also found out that they have quite an attraction there; "Dinky the singing Dingo" whom I judged from reading the many newspaper clips on the wall; is quite famous! I did ask the guy where Dinky is and he said, at this hour, he'd still be in his bed. Well, I guess I'd just have to take their words for it. (I did check out on YouTube later and guess what; there were actually quite a number of videos of Dinky "singing"!). But I still don't think I should get myself one of the t-shirts though...


When I was just about to leave, Dinky just woke up so I did get to say hi to the star in person...


This picture was taken at the Erldunda Roadhouse later that morning.Notice the sign? But they don't mind actually...










It was still another about 250 km to reach Uluru from there so we made our way quickly. This is one of the pic of a nice spot I found on the way there. There were quite a few of these called, "The Red Centre Way"





And after a ride that seems to be forever, it finally appears in the far distant; "The Red Centre" in its glory.


Wow! It was exactly the way I had imagine. It was quite an emotional moment. After months of planning and thousand of kms of riding, finally we made it here! I found a spot (there's hardly anyone else there at this hour) and started getting busy taking pictures of the bike, myself, myself with the bike and sending pics to FB and other BlackBerry friends announcing my arrival there. Yup, that's it... WE MADE IT!!! After that we made a quick "victory lap" around the 10 km track around the rock and I couldn't help but to congratulate the bike for taking me there with no problem whatsoever (touch wood for now!).



After bringing myself back to reality again, I realized that I had to start looking for a place to stay for the night (2 nights as per my original plan). I rode down to Yulara and true as what I have read before, it is a resort especially and exclusively created to serve the visitors of Uluru (Ayers Rock). And you can guess what people would do with "monopoly" market? Yes, charge them like crazy! It was quite a shocker for me because on my way there, I hardly bumped into any tourists at all but over here, they were everywhere; buses and buses of them and I also noticed that 90% of them are international tourists.

I had a quick lunch at the tourists centre then went searching for accommodation. According to the lady at the info counter, all the cabins in the caravan park were fully booked. The only ones available are dormitory and single rooms in the resort. The 40-people sharing dorm is $35 a night, 4-sharing is $45 a night and the single room is $235 a night! I thought to myself, I'm not going to succumb to this extortion so I book myself in for a 4-sharing dorm room. I went to the "resort", checked in and were given the key to my shared room. As I stepped into the room, the other occupants were not there but I can guess they are buddies. The only bed left is one of the upper bunk bed. The room was probably not more than 8x10 ft wide, no aircond, packed with the stuffs from the current occupants and their clothes, wet towels and everything else were hanged all over the place! It was damp and dark and.... I don't think I can survive one night in there! They are probably just some 20 year olds, so this 40 year old tough and rugged biker would not have a problem handling them but I just can't take it!!! I'd probably handle it better and blend in well some 20 years ago but not anymore...

Another quick call to home base for advice and same advice like the night before; if you're not comfortable, just get out of it! Stop being stingy! Well, what to do... went back to the reception, asked for an upgrade, paid the $235 bucks and decided to book for only one night and see how it goes later. It was probably one of the best decision I made so far during the trip. I moved my stuffs from the dorm room to my single room so quick, I even forgotten to take a picture of it! But anyway, now finally I can rest easy, unpack my things in my comfortable room, went back out again to take pictures of Uluru at sunset. Came back later, had a nice quick dinner then had a very nice and more importantly, undisturbed sleep...


Sunset in Uluru. If I can wake up early tomorrow... sunrise in Uluru...!

Tips of the day: If you go there, never forget to slap on some generous amount of insect repellent. The flies there, all hundreds and hundreds of them, can be really annnoying!

1 comment:

  1. Ada berani bawak balik batu from there ka??

    ReplyDelete